Wacom PWB-D245 (A) = Touch Screen Control Board

Everything related to drivers
PatrikPL

Wacom PWB-D245 (A) = Touch Screen Control Board

Postby PatrikPL » Wed 16. Mar 2022, 18:35

Hello,

I use Lenovo Ideapad Yoga 530. After weeks of internet review, I was able to identify mini-board of controlling touchscreen (hardware product name).

It is Wacom PWB-D245, and the electronic chip looks like below:

https://imgur.com/XJw2l1Q

I have a big problem with the touch screen. Touching the screen with your fingers doesn't work, but the Active Pen responds quite well. The issue applies to both Windows10 (various builds) and Linkus (tested on Ubuntu). I have tried a lot of solutions, including on the Lenovo Technical Support forum, but none of them was successful. I installed different versions of drivers, including those on https://catalog.update.microsoft.com
I also reset my laptop to factory conditions. I have installed the latest AMD drivers (chipset, graphics card in CPU). It did not help.

Therefore, I have a question, can I do something more?
Why does the pen work and the finger touch does not.
What is causing this hardware (or software?) problem?

This is a very common issue for touchscreen laptops (Yoga 530, 730 series).
Lots of people are reporting on the internet, that the screen becomes inactive for the touch of a finger after the Windows10 update. My case also confirms this. And it cannot be repaired other than replacing the digitizer of touch panel?

The device ID is "Wcom517e".

Please help.

wacom5

Re: Wacom PWB-D245 (A) = Touch Screen Control Board

Postby wacom5 » Thu 17. Mar 2022, 08:21

Hi,
in this case, Wacom is the OEM but the drivers (and updates) are managed by Lenovo who are the developer and manufacturer of the device.
Please check with Lenovo again. If the toucher sensor is not working properly then perhaps the warranty needs to be activated?
Need immediate help? Contact our Support: https://support.wacom.com

PatrikPL

Postby PatrikPL » Thu 17. Mar 2022, 18:18

Hello, thanks for repost.

wacom5 wrote:Wacom is the OEM but the drivers (and updates) are managed by Lenovo
Yes, I am aware of this. But isn't it weird, that the Active Pen works while the finger-taps don't work?

I suspect, that the PWB-D245 controls both: the touch of the pen and the touch of the finger – simultaneously.

My laptop screen (monitor) consists of two interchangeable parts: the display panel and the touch panel. There is no separate layer for pen touch and finger touch. In view of the above, I assume that the touch part of the screen is working (non issue). Unfortunately, I do not know how exactly the Wacom PWB-D245 works with the touch screen panel.

In my opinion the cause of the issue is an incompatible driver. Why? For example, if I enter the Pen and Touch Calibration settings (Windows10), the system sees the finger touch as a pen touch. There are just two items called "pen touch", one of which doesn't work (because it is finger touch, no pen).
wacom5 wrote:Please check with Lenovo again.
They are not interested in solving the problem by any other means than sending the equipment for repair (at the owner's expense). Warranty is expired, so even buying a new touch panel (plus repair cost plus shipping cost) is not a favorable solution for me.
wacom5 wrote:If the toucher sensor is not working properly then perhaps the warranty needs to be activated?
What did you mean? I got it like this: after the warranty void period, an issue was intentionally programmed.

Greetings.

wacom5

Postby wacom5 » Fri 18. Mar 2022, 10:38

Sorry but I don't know the specifics of this device or how the controller was integrated with the computer.
Need immediate help? Contact our Support: https://support.wacom.com

Return to “Drivers”