Cintiq24pro 8 bit only???

Wacom One, Cintiq and Cintiq Pro
mikycoud

Re: Cintiq24pro 8 bit only???

Postby mikycoud » Wed 18. Sep 2019, 05:13

Hi, sorry for the late reply, the wife made me take some time away from my computer (aka holidays :-)
Anyway, yep, plenty of difference between my Nec (true 10bit display) and the cintiq 24 pro.
Then again, the Nec costs more than the cintiq, and it's "only" a display.
It's really obvious on gradients (especially monochromatic ones),where unwanted, contaminating hues are noticeable on the Wacom and not on the Nec. Also, banding is present on the Wacom, though I would say that forcing 10bits in the nvidia drivers does make things better there. (Though not close to Nec smoothness).
I suspect the wacom panel to be an 8 bit only display, with some frc-like technology to emulate a proper 10 bit display.
Also, the fact that it doesn't seem to be hardware calibratable (does such a word even exist?) says a lot about the technology used.
Anyway, the fact that you can force 10bit output in your drivers settings doesn't make sense, since you're using a geforce (non quadro) device which does not support 10 bit output via opengl.
So that shouldn't even be there to start with. Unless that setting is not referring to opengl bit output, but something else.
Anyway, you shouldn't see a difference on your setup whether or not this option is set to 8bit or 10bit.

All that being said, I find Wacom communication on that specific topic really opaque. I mean, is it really that hard for Wacom to give us some details about the tech used on their expensive, aimed at professional flagship product?

kangum

Postby kangum » Tue 24. Sep 2019, 01:05

It seems wacom is dodging this thread. Maybe it is 8 bit after all.

LogicBrain

Postby LogicBrain » Tue 8. Oct 2019, 14:18

kangum wrote:It seems wacom is dodging this thread. Maybe it is 8 bit after all.

Seems like it lol.

mikycoud wrote:Hi, sorry for the late reply, the wife made me take some time away from my computer (aka holidays :-)
Anyway, yep, plenty of difference between my Nec (true 10bit display) and the cintiq 24 pro.
Then again, the Nec costs more than the cintiq, and it's "only" a display.
It's really obvious on gradients (especially monochromatic ones),where unwanted, contaminating hues are noticeable on the Wacom and not on the Nec. Also, banding is present on the Wacom, though I would say that forcing 10bits in the nvidia drivers does make things better there. (Though not close to Nec smoothness).
I suspect the wacom panel to be an 8 bit only display, with some frc-like technology to emulate a proper 10 bit display.
Also, the fact that it doesn't seem to be hardware calibratable (does such a word even exist?) says a lot about the technology used.
Anyway, the fact that you can force 10bit output in your drivers settings doesn't make sense, since you're using a geforce (non quadro) device which does not support 10 bit output via opengl.
So that shouldn't even be there to start with. Unless that setting is not referring to opengl bit output, but something else.
Anyway, you shouldn't see a difference on your setup whether or not this option is set to 8bit or 10bit.

All that being said, I find Wacom communication on that specific topic really opaque. I mean, is it really that hard for Wacom to give us some details about the tech used on their expensive, aimed at professional flagship product?

I was able to tryout a Nec Love them, but the HZ is to low for me. Gotta wait till a faster one comes out. Thanks for the info!

EricRollei

Postby EricRollei » Thu 16. Jun 2022, 07:18

hoping I can bring back this older thread...
Have a 24 Pro Touch Cintiq, worked fantastic on Mac, works on Windows 11 as far as pen and touch actions go, but I feel the display doesn't have the correct color and for sure it is blocking the blacks and whites which it didn't do on the Mac. More info - I have a z690 motherboard, i9-12900k with EVGA 3080 GPU. Currently the display is connected via HDMI to the GPU and USB cable to the motherboard. I have set the Nvidia settings to 10 bits per the above posts in this thread. Still the monitor is shown as a Generic PnP display connected to the Nvidia. I have been able to make a color profile for the display using the i1 display puck and Calibrite software. When connected to the Mac, I could see easily the difference between 0,0,0 and 1,1,1 and same for the whites 254 and 255. Using the Eizo monitor tests on their website, I can also see a number of other differences between how this diplay worked on the Mac and how it works on the PC. Want to get this to the same quality diplay as I saw when connected to the mac.

What other things can I try here?
Thank you

wacom4

Postby wacom4 » Fri 17. Jun 2022, 10:04

We know now, that HDMI can be very tricky when running the Cintiq Pro 24.
Not all graphics cards, adaptors etc work together as it could be expected. It seems that the HDMI 2.1 implementation is more complicated...

Wacom recommends to use Display Port for the connection of Cintiq Pro 24/32 when colour accuracy and display resolution are important.

EricRollei

Postby EricRollei » Sat 18. Jun 2022, 08:52

Thank you for that information. I'll try the display port then sometime over the weekend unless I need some cable or adapter and report back.

Return to “Pen Displays”